Frontend Software Engineer Paid Internship (EHI) - Summer 2021
HOVER uses patented technology making it possible for anyone with a smartphone camera to create an interactive 3D model, complete with detailed measurements and powerful design features. The data produced is extremely valuable as it generates a single source of truth for the physical world allowing for more veracity throughout the home improvement and insurance processes. We’ve found an incredibly strong product-market fit across exterior home improvement, insurance, and financial services. What's the secret sauce? Cutting edge technology, an exceptional culture, and a commitment to our values (Think. Do. Serve.).
With our team of investors, including Google Ventures and Menlo Ventures, HOVER is committed to continuing our success and facilitating growth. We believe there is strength in diversity so we hire skilled and passionate people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Why you want HOVER:
At HOVER we are dedicated to our employees and our community. Just look at our values of THINK, DO, and SERVE - it’s ingrained in our culture to be intentional about diversity and to uplift those around us.
- THINK challenges us to participate in respectful debate and value the diversity of thought that can only be found in true diversity among our ranks.
- DO asks us to be biassed towards action and to always be interested in changing things for the better.
- SERVE is a constant reminder that if we are to succeed as a company we must be focused on uplifting one another up as rising tides lift all ships.
It is with a dedication to these values that we continue to invest in our community through initiatives like this internship program designed to create opportunities for professionals early in their careers.
Why HOVER wants you:
You’d be joining our Exterior Home Improvement (EHI) team - a team charged with building a new platform of products to compliment HOVER’s powerful measurements product. The EHI team is key to unlocking the next stage of HOVER’s growth and is dedicated to building the best product of its kind on the market.
The EHI team consists of strong engineers who continuously invest in the growth of ourselves and others. As a group of growth-minded teammates, we enjoy close collaboration, care about the success of the products we build, and don't take ourselves too seriously. On this team we believe that it’s better to:
- make many small moves than few large ones
- spend our Fridays learning instead of squeezing out more features
- always be growing instead of doing what is familiar
- encourage team creativity in solutions rather than be prescriptive
Your main internship project will be the development of our internal design system/component library. This library is utilized across the whole company as a central repository of commonly used design assets. Your work here would be key to empowering all frontend engineers and be easily seen by both the HOVER engineering organization and our customers. We believe this impactful and visible project, along with your time at HOVER, will serve as a strong cornerstone as you build your career portfolio.
During your internship, you will contribute by:
By month 1, you will have:
- Paired with senior engineers on delivering features and value to our users
- Gotten acquainted with our rapid development cycle (we deploy multiple times a day, with an average time from commit to production of ~1 day)
- Had recurring 1:1s with your dedicated mentor and manager
- Begun undertaking your main internship project: development of our internal design system/component library
By month 2, you will have:
- Collaborated closely with designers on building features that help them realize their vision for a unified design experience for our consumers
- Built, tested, documented, and shipped several components in our design system
By the end of your internship, you will have:
- Collaborated with other engineers on usage and best practices on the components you have built
- Presented on all of your accomplishments and learnings from working in our design system
- Developed the foundational technical skills and experience necessary to aid you in your budding software engineer career
Your background includes:
This internship is perfect for engineers who can commit to a 2-3 month internship this summer and meet the following requirements:
- Exposure to modern Frontend frameworks like React, Vue, Angular, Meteor, etc great but not necessary
- Exposure to git
- A willingness to learn and improve not just your technical skills, but also all the soft skills that make a good engineer great
- Excitement to collaborate with other engineers and designers