Software Engineer, Backend (CSI)
HOVER uses patented technology making it possible for anyone with a smartphone camera to create an interactive 3D model, complete with detailed measurements and powerful design features. The data produced is extremely valuable as it generates a single source of truth for the physical world allowing for more veracity throughout the home improvement and insurance processes. We’ve found an incredibly strong product-market fit across exterior home improvement, insurance, and financial services. What's the secret sauce? Cutting edge technology, an exceptional culture, and a commitment to our values (Think. Do. Serve.).
With our team of investors, including Google Ventures and Menlo Ventures, HOVER is committed to continuing our success and facilitating growth. We believe there is strength in diversity so we hire skilled and passionate people from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Why HOVER wants you:
HOVER is looking for a strong Rails Engineer who has deep knowledge of the framework and hands-on experience building and scaling web apps and backend services. We’re a small but growing group of engineers, so beyond the prerequisite senior technical ability, we’re looking for someone with exceptional initiative, a passion for building awesome stuff for the pure excitement of it, and a love for pushing the envelope while building high quality, scalable and extensible products.
You’d be joining our Core Services & Insurance (CSI) Team - a team that partners with all HOVER teams to deliver stable & consistent experiences for all customers. You will join as a member of our backend engineering team and be responsible for the architecture and evolution of our platform. Like all engineering roles at HOVER, this is a cross-functional role at its core. You will also work in coordination with other engineering teams (frontend, graphics, automation, mobile), and non-engineering teams (product, design) in an agile development environment.
You will contribute by:
- Write clean, tested, and documented code
- Stay at the cutting edge of your discipline through communication, collaboration, and mentorship opportunities (including code reviews and occasional pair programming)
- Build new features in our product, integrate image processing, 3D rendering and machine learning code, and optimize it against one of the world’s biggest datasets of residential property imagery
Your background includes:
- Current experience (2+ years) building reliable, scalable, maintainable high-traffic Ruby on Rails applications
- Interest or experience working on the frontend with a modern framework (React, Vue, etc)
- Experience with all aspects of testing fullstack applications: unit, functional, feature, and end-to-end
- Experience with the usual suspects (PostgreSQL, Redis, rspec, git, Resque)
- Comfortable on a bash shell and SQL console
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Compensation - Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing company
- Healthcare - Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and dependents
- Paid Time Off - Unlimited and flexible vacation policy
- Paid Family Leave- We support work/life balance and offer generous paid parental and new child bonding leave
- Mandatory Self-Care Days - A day set aside each month to allow employees to recharge
- Remote Wellbeing Resources - We provide recurring fitness classes, meditation/ mindfulness tools, virtual therapy, and family planning assistance
- Learning - We encourage continued education and will help cover the cost of management training, conferences, workshops, or certifications